Thursday, November 3, 2011

Boo!!!



Surprise, I am still here and actually going to post with pictures even.

For now I will just skip over the past 6 months and go straight to Halloween.

For the record Halloween is not my favorite holiday.
I don't like the stress/expense of costumes.
I don't like my door bell ringing and the dog barking.
I don't like the pumpkin carving and the mess it makes.
I don't like the candy and the kids behavior after eating too much.
I don't like kids throwing up after eating too much. (happened last year)

So basically Boo Humbug.

But, my kids Love Halloween.
I love my kids.

So how to make them happy while I stay sane an happy too.

First. No pumpkin carving. No knife action, no visits to the E.R. Happy Mom.
Pumpkin painting. Happy kids. Happy Mom.

Second. Think Beggar's night is on Saturday so you plan for the costumes to be
done by Friday night. Surprise! Beggar's night is actually on Monday so
Mom gets a stress free weekend. Less stress, Happy Mom.

Third. Tell kids on Friday that they have to finish their school by noon so
I have time to work on their costumes. Kids are productive and Mom is happy.

Fourth. Let the kids be whatever they want. Only limitation is that we
are making the costumes out of what we have. I am not spending money on
this holiday I don't like. Happy kids, get to be what they want. Happy
Mom, gets to be Scrooge. Boo humbug.

So how did the free costumes work out?
You be the judge.



Devonae as Rowan Hood, Robin Hood's daughter. This character is from this series of books http://www.amazon.com/Rowan-Hood-Outlaw-Sherwood-Forest/dp/069811972X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320346654&sr=1-1. Devonae really enjoyed the the read.



Danny as a pirate. It helped that he purchased the sword as a souvenir at Disney world. I raided the goodwill box and he makes ladies clothes look so manly.
I was very pleased with myself that I was able to sew his hat from scratch.



Elli as Little Red Riding Hood. I loved how this turned out. I upcycled a Christmas tablecloth into the cape. The basket was a gift that Devonae brought home from her corn maze outing with the church.

Next is Karist.
Hers needs a bit of explanation to those unfamiliar with World of Warcraft.
She so wanted to be a "Nonai princess" (Draenei)http://www.wowwiki.com/Draenei
I tried to talk her out of it. How was I going to make a blue space goat costume.
Well here is what we came up with...



Karist as a happy princess draenei.No one had a clue what she was :)

So overall the holiday went smoothly.
No trips to the store.
No trips to the E.R.
No vomiting.




Now I just need to get rid of all this candy.

No comments: