Sunday, March 14, 2010

God Sent Me a Message

The message was "banyo"

It meant you need to learn Spanish.


We had a new young visitor in our 4 year old Sunday school class.
She seemed shy and quiet while I showed her where to hang up her coat and encouraged her to join us in the circle for our story.

After a few minutes she stood up and said "banyo".
It seemed urgent and neither I or Jesse understood.
She repeated "banyo" with a tone of concern.
So I began my guess with "brother" it starts with B and I saw one with her when she entered the class so I thought maybe she missed him. Wrong. I then remembered that I think brother is Hermano.

Jesse and I knew "banyo" seemed familiar.
Then it came to me "bathroom"
I told Jesse to open the door to the adjacent bathroom so she could see where it was and see if we had figured it out correctly.

"Banyo" is bathroom.

This is going to be an interesting class.
We colored out puppet craft and I showed her how we were putting it together.
A lot of showing and talking that I am sure the did not understand.

I complimented her coloring by saying "mucho bien" I hope I told her it was good.

After a bit one of the preschool coordinators brought us her registration and said that out new learner knew very little english.

Jesse and I chuckled and let her know that we had figured that one out.

Now I just need to figure out how to teach a lesson in Spanish.

Not being blindsided I think I will Begin next week with, "Ola, Mi amo es Senora Renee."

I think that means. "Hi, my name is Mrs. Renee".

4 comments:

Terry and Patty said...

el bano I told you you needed to start teaching the kids some spanish.

Terry and Patty said...

muy bien senora Renee. Trabajo bueno

Ana Laura said...

Hehe, the word is banio :)

I like your blog, it's very funny. Or, as we'd say in Spanish:

¡Me gusta mucho tu blog!

Ana Laura said...

Ohhh, and no no no.

'Mi amo is Señora Renee' means 'my master is mrs renee. You should say

'Mi nombre es Señora Renee'